The Paideia School was founded in 1971 by parents who wanted an individualized, creative, and intellectually challenging education for their children. The original building at 1509 Ponce de Leon housed the entire school of 140 students during the first two years. In 1973 the school purchased the adjoining property and added a high school program. Two additional buildings were constructed in 1977 to allow for increased enrollment and to provide improved facilities for existing programs. Additional buildings were purchased in the 1980s for classrooms, laboratories, and the upper school library.
A new gym and theater complex was opened in 1989, and a 25,000-square-foot high school classroom building with library and computer facilities was opened in 1995. In 1999 renovations were completed on the Neel Reid house at 1341 Ponce de Leon and our half-day program was moved there. Playing fields were opened in 1999 in Avondale Estates, and the Music and Art Center opened in the fall of 2001. With the start of the 2008-2009 school year, the school opened several new facilities for the junior high, physical education, drama and music programs built with money raised in the $25 million Campaign for All Ages. These facilities include a new junior high building, an expanded chorus program room, an expanded main gym, a multipurpose gym, a black box theater, art display area, a fitness center, an open green space and increased parking. Paideia School now has over 900 students from age three through 12th grade. The school is fully accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and the Southern Association of Independent Schools.